Designer Inspired, Not Imitated

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

As we all know, there is a huge problem in the fashion industry with designer knockoffs. As much as I like the idea of getting my favorite designer's look for a lot less, there is a reason they are my favorite designer; they designed it. So, on that note, I present to you items that have borrowed colors or ideas (isn't that what fashion is?) but are in they're own unique styles.

As you may have seen on my spring wishlist, I love this Marc by Marc Jacobs top. The red and cream are a killer combo and Marc has carried it on to a fab dress. You can buy the top at Nordstrom for $168 and the dress at Net-A-Porter.com for $428.




Forever21 has this great dropwaist dress for a mere $24.80. The similar colors, enameled buttons, and red on bottom are the only things that have been carried over from Marc's design. The sailor look, drop waist, and pleats are all major structual differences.



I wouldn't call this a knockoff and I wouldn't call it imitation. To me, this is what fashion is all about, constantly taking ideas of other and molding them into your own. Shoot me or hug me for these thoughts, but at least be nice about it.

0 comments: